Education is key to charting the course towards more justice and sustainability, but it is failing millions of children, youth and adults, increasing their exposure to poverty, violence and exploitation.
The theme for this year's International Day of Education is "Changing Course, Transforming Education".
The COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated a pre-existing education crisis. Reliance on digital technology for learning has deepened exclusion and gender inequalities.
Without remedial action, better support to teachers and increased financing, learning losses and school dropout will continue to rise, reversing progress towards all the Sustainable Development Goals and depriving youth of a future of dignity and opportunity.
Objectives of the Day
• Generate debate on the essential triggers of transformations to build more equitable and inclusive education systems that will accelerate progress towards SDG 4, taking on board findings of UNESCO’s Futures of Education Report.
• Showcase transformations in action with potential for scaling to advance digital inclusion, green competences and skills, and gender equality
• Mobilize political will to address gaping inequalities in access and completion of education, in line with SDG4
• Spotlight student voices on what changes and innovations they want to see to make their education more fit for purpose
• Spotlight teachers’ voices on the future of their profession, from integrating technology in their practice to orienting teaching and learning around new skills and mindsets for people and planet.
We mark the fourth International Day of Education as our world stands at a turning point. Gaping inequalities, a damaged planet, growing polarization and the devastating impact of the global pandemic put us before a generational choice: Continue on an unsustainable path or radically change course.
This year’s International Day of Education, will be a platform to showcase the most important transformations that have to be nurtured to realize everyone’s fundamental right to education and build more sustainable, inclusive and peaceful futures.